City of Cayce, South Carolina
City of Cayce, SC Visitors Residents Businesses Newcomers
Tagline - A New Kind of City - Cayce SC
Quick Links:



BuILDING Permits

Remodel / Renovations Mechanical
Building & Mechanical Permit Rates Inspections Contact
Fire Marshal


Any owner or authorized agent who intends to construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, demolish, or change the occupancy of a building or structure, or to erect, install, enlarge, alter, repair, remove, convert or replace any electrical, gas, mechanical or plumbing system, in the City of Cayce, shall first obtain the required building or mechanical permits.

If you are the property owner and wish to perform the work yourself, you need to complete an Owner Acknowledgment Form (PDF), which states you must abide by all Zoning Ordinances and Building Regulations required by the City of Cayce.

The City of Cayce currently utilizes the following Codes:

  • 2014 National Electrical Code
  • 2015 International Building Code
  • 2015 International Plumbing Code
  • 2015 International Mechanical Code
  • 2015 International Fire Code
  • 2015 International Residential Code
  • 2015 International Property Maintenance Code
  • International Existing Building Code, current edition
  • International Swimming Pool Code, current edition
  • 2015 International Fuel Gas Code
  • 2009 International Energy Conservation Code

Back to top


The Planning & Development Office works hard to make the new construction process simple and time efficient. Listed below is a basic outline of the steps required to build a new building (Commercial or Residential).

  1. Must submit 2 sets of plans showing property layout, setbacks, landscaping, storm water, and utilities.
  2. Once approved by the Planning & Development Director, the plans will be stamped as approved by the P&D Director and should then be taken to Lexington County Public Works/Storm Water Division for Storm Water approval. They can be contacted at (803) 785-8201.
  3. Once Lexington County approves the plans, plans should be returned to the Cayce Planning & Development Office, along with a Land Disturbance Permit issued by Lexington County.
  4. Building plans should then be submitted to the Cayce Building Official for approval.
  5. Once plans are approved by the Building Official, a Building Permit may be issued to begin construction.

All contractors and sub-contractors must have a current Business License before performing any work on job sites. All Plumbers, Electricians, and HVAC contractors must obtain proper mechanical permits prior to performing work.

Back to top


A Building Permit is required to perform renovations or remodeling to a home. Permits should be obtained for any work that includes alterations to the structure itself. Cosmetic type work generally will not require a permit. See below for a list of common types of work performed.  

Common Types of Work Requiring Building Permits

- Roof Replacement
- Fencing over 7 feet in height (excludes cyclone)
- Window Replacement
- Foundation Repairs
- Vinyl Siding Replacement
- Demolition of building
- Removing or Wall Additions
- Sub-floor Repairs
- Carports over 200 square feet
- Swimming Pool Installation
- Retaining walls over 4 feet in height

Common Types of Work Not Requiring Permit

- Replace damaged shingles to small area of roof
- Replace siding to small area
- Accessory buildings under 200 square feet.
- Cabinet replacement/installation
- Floor Covering (Carpet, Vinyl, Tile)
- Painting and Wall Covering
- Concrete and Asphalt (Paving)
- Fences under 7 feet

Business Licenses must be obtained even if a permit is not required for work being performed.

Back to top


A mechanical permit is needed to install, alter, repair, remove, convert, or replace any electrical, plumbing, gas, or HVAC system. A permit is not required for standard service calls or agreements.

- Electrical Permit
- HVAC Permit
- Plumbing Permit
- Gas Inspection Permit

Back to top


South Carolina Code of Laws Section 40-11-30 states “No entity or individual may practice as a contractor by performing or offering to perform contracting work for which the total cost of construction is greater than five thousand dollars ($5,000) for general contracting or greater than five thousand dollars ($5,000) for mechanical contracting without a license issued by the Department of Labor, License, and Regulation.”

Licensing for Commercial Work

- A South Carolina Department of Labor, License and Regulation “General Contractors” license is required for anyone performing “commercial” construction over $5,000.

- A SC LLR “Mechanical Contractors” license is required for all “commercial” plumbing, electrical, and HVAC work being performed.

- A subcontractor performing work for a general or mechanical contractor is not required to have a license issued by the South Carolina Department of Labor, License and Regulation if the work performed falls within the general or mechanical contractor’s license classification(s). The licensed “General or Mechanical Contractor” hiring an unlicensed subcontractor must supervise and be responsible for the subcontractors work.

Licensing for Residential Work

- A South Carolina Department of Labor, License and Regulation “Residential Home Builders” license is required to build residential dwellings.

- Anyone engaging in residential work over $200 must obtain a SC LLR “Specialty Contractors License”. A residential specialty contractor is an independent contractor, who is not a licensed residential builder, who contracts with a licensed residential builder, general contractor, or individual property owner to do construction work, repairs, improvements, or re-improvements requiring special skills and involving the use of specialized construction trades or crafts. A specialty contractor cannot build a residential structure or make an addition to a residential structure from the ground up.

- The following trades or crafts require a SC LLR “Specialty Contractor” license:

1. Vinyl and Aluminum siding installers
2. Insulation installers
3. Roofers
4. Floor covering installers
5. Masons
6. Drywall installers
7. Carpenters
8. Stucco installers
9. Painters/Wall paper hangers

- A subcontractor performing work for a SC LLR licensed “Residential Home Builder” must be licensed by SC LLR as a “Specialty Contractor.” If a subcontractor is performing work for a “General Contractor,” the subcontractor is not required to have a license issued by SC LLR, if the work performed falls within the general contractor’s license classification(s). The licensed “General Contractor” hiring an unlicensed subcontractor must supervise and be responsible for the subcontractors work.

For additional information regarding the South Carolina Department of Labor, License and Regulation and licensing requirements, please visit their website at or call them at 803-896-4300.

Back to top


Please see the Permit Rate Sheet for rates of building permits.

Back to top


To schedule an inspection, please contact our Building Official, Steve Martin (CBO), at 803-550-9502.

Back to top


Michelle Paulchel
Administrative Coordinator
(w) 803-550-9559
[email protected]

Steve Martin
Certified Building Official
(w) 803-550-9502
[email protected]

Terry Mueller
Fire Marshal
(w) 803-550-9523
[email protected]

Ken Walters
Code Enforcement Officer/Residential Building Inspector
[email protected]

Please click here for Fire Department Building Requirements

 Back to top

Facebook Youtube    weather